Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Tell-Tale Heart - this one's my favourite

I like this layout best out of all the ones I've done (including the almost-finished last one). Maybe it's all the red letters. Anything that's italicized in the text is in capital letters in the book, and with the narrator going crazy there's a lot of that at the end. I really like it. The important one, or at least the one I like best is the part where he hears the heart again "much such the sound as a watch makes when enveloped in cotton", combined with it being a very long phrase meant I spread it out over the page and inserted the small writing around it. So when it came to filling it in I made that part very brights while the other letters are a little less saturated, just so readings a bit smoother.

I also started dropping some of the scarlet ink along with the black, but it's so thick and dark straight from the bottle it doesn't make a huge impact. I think I'll mix in a little water and have it all over the next page. I like that it looks a bit like blood splattering all over, rather than just ink. Maybe it's because I'm reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies but I'm feeling particularly bloodthirsty at the end of this.

2 comments:

  1. I love the shape of the writing on this page - it sort of sits really well (if you can get my meaning!).
    All those capital letters are fab and I really like the ink splashes. The idea of the red "blood spatters" on the last page is great...
    What sort of binding have you decided on.. it's nearly getting to that stage and I'm excited to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gentle reader can tell he's getting crazier and crazier!

    ReplyDelete