Sunday, June 26, 2011

Jabberwocky - I give up!

I came to the conclusion a few days ago that this is a ridiculous project to attempt as an edition. It's just going to be a single, handwritten volume. It's simply to large and unwieldy to make any other way. I'm going to make a book edition soon, but I will start with a much simpler format. I may use Jabberwocky again as well, since I already have ideas for how I'd like to do it. As it is, here's what I've managed in the last couple of days. It looks a few hours to pencil out the layout on the big piece of watercolour that will become the book, especially because I kept putting things in the wrong square and had to erase all my beautiful sketches. It's a full 22" x 30"piece (140lb cold press), but after all the folding the book will only be about 2 3/4" x 6". I haven't torn the maze pattern out yet because I don't want to compromise the paper until absolutely necessary. All the turning and folding could really damage the edges, so I'm not going to until I need to actually ink on the edges. This will going to put a lot of pressure on me to tear it perfectly, because I don't want to restart at this point!

Apologies for the crappy photos, light pencil doesn't show up very well.



Time spent on this part of the project: 5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment