Saturday, September 3, 2011

Tep's Wedding Portrait


My little sister got married this summer, and I still haven't given her her present! I usually give my friends a painting or drawing they like, and bring it to the wedding. I was a little behind on this one, so I'm doing one of my favourite photos from the wedding in pastels, and I'll either ship it out or hold it hostage until she comes to visit. The reference photo is above, and this is what I've got so far:


I really like this blue-grey paper, and I think it will lend a nice soft colour to the finished product. I'm going to do it in colour using some of the many many other photos taken that day for reference. I intend to make this a little softer and more 'pastely' than the previous pastels I've done. I want to take better advantage of the medium, instead of the very tight style I've used while familiarizing myself with the pastels. It will be a challenge to maintain recognizable portraits while using something closer to my usual loose, painterly style. Stay tuned, we'll see how this all works out!

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be able to give your sister a little part of you...you are so talented. Your sister will love it.
    Love,Debbie:)

    ReplyDelete